GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
157 Posts
Kind of wish I had reserved one before the price hike (or maybe even immediately after). Site says deliveries for new orders will begin in late 2023 but I don’t buy that for a second. Would seriously consider reserving if that was the real timeline. Late 2024 timing for the Hummer has really killed my excitement.

· Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kind of wish I had reserved one before the price hike (or maybe even immediately after). Site says deliveries for new orders will begin in late 2023 but I don’t buy that for a second. Would seriously consider reserving if that was the real timeline. Late 2024 timing for the Hummer has really killed my excitement.
The Rivian is a far more practical SUV than the Hummer will be. After having my Hummer SUT for 6 months it's not a very practical vehicle, fun and cool, yes, practical no.

· Registered
157 Posts
The Rivian is a far more practical SUV than the Hummer will be. After having my Hummer SUT for 6 months it's not a very practical vehicle, fun and cool, yes, practical no.
That was the appeal of the R1S to me. Room for all my kids (three rows), long range, and still fun to drive. I like the Hummer more but I’m very frustrated with the delays and would consider other, more timely options.

· Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While I park in wider handicapped spots, I understand parking in regular parking spots is probably challenging. Other than that, I can’t imagine what makes it impractical for you. Mine is perfect for daily use.
The Hummer EV sucks as a pickup. As a person who uses the pickup bed daily you only realize how impractical the Hummer EV bed is after using it a bit. Its high, hard to reach over the side, no corner steps, the bed is tiny small (for a full size truck) loading things in and out is a PITA. Truthfully I am hauling Big Block Chevy engine blocks in my Tesla Y, because its easier to get them in an out... Not kidding

Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

· Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That was the appeal of the R1S to me. Room for all my kids (three rows), long range, and still fun to drive. I like the Hummer more but I’m very frustrated with the delays and would consider other, more timely options.
Hummer is cool looking, and draws attention, the Rivian R1S gets the job done, all of the jobs, and will crush the Hummer SUV in a drag race, more comfortable, better handling, fits more people and cargo in a smaller package. Rivian customer service also better then GM in most cases. I will talk about my Hummer service experience once my Hummer is sold.

· Registered
523 Posts
Got it. You were comparing the SUT to a traditional pick up, not the R1S, since everything you mentioned was related to the bed. I only use the bed every couple of weeks for furniture finds, hardware store trips, and dump runs. The bed is not as practical, but the maneuverability and turn radius, compared to a conventional pick up, make up for it, for me at least. Not too mention all of the cool non-truck features.

While funny, I am glad you made it home safe with an engine block in the back of your Tesla. I won’t judge as I have done tons of unsafe stuff.

Happy New Year All!!!

· Registered
"Spring 2022" (or 2023) ED1 SUT
306 Posts
Given that plenty of folks with 2020/21 orders for R1Ses were recently told their orders would come in 2024, late 2023 may be optimistic (depending on build and distance to service facility).

· Registered
157 Posts
Given that plenty of folks with 2020/21 orders for R1Ses were recently told their orders would come in 2024, late 2023 may be optimistic (depending on build and distance to service facility).
Yea I think that estimate is nonsense. I haven’t followed the Rivian process recently but last I checked Rivian was struggling with production too and there were some very upset reservation holders. That said, maybe Rivian can ramp up faster since it isn’t competing with itself for batteries? 🤷‍♂️

Happy New Years all! Wish we could all be looking forward to receiving a Hummer this year.

· Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ordered my R1S in late 2021 after the R1T test drives started, I was a Rivian skeptic before, but talking to Seth at Electrek, he told me he drove the R1T, and ordered an R1S as soon as he got back from the first drive. Rivian has built 2 consumer vehicles and swept a ton of awards with both of them, not all the reviewers can be wrong, right? Rivian latest date for me to take delivery is Summer 2023, so hopefully just 6-8 more months to wait. I bet I get my R1S before anyone gets a Hummer EV ordered the same day...

· Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got it. You were comparing the SUT to a traditional pick up, not the R1S, since everything you mentioned was related to the bed. I only use the bed every couple of weeks for furniture finds, hardware store trips, and dump runs. The bed is not as practical, but the maneuverability and turn radius, compared to a conventional pick up, make up for it, for me at least. Not too mention all of the cool non-truck features.

While funny, I am glad you made it home safe with an engine block in the back of your Tesla. I won’t judge as I have done tons of unsafe stuff.

Happy New Year All!!!
Happy New Year!

Yes, the Hummer turning radius is awesome, for me though it does not make up for the lack of practicality, awful handling (worst handling pickup on the market), and glitchy systems. The Hummer EV for me reminds me of what my dad used to say about owning a boat, 2 happy days, they day you buy it, and the day you sell it. I cannot remember any other new car I have owned I was more excited to sell (part of which might be that I am selling it profitably) but I assure you, I will not be buying another Hummer EV. Now is it terrible? No, but its not what I want in a truck. It's a lifestyle vehicle primarily, but I consider the attention and stigma that goes with it a negative. I considered replacing the Hummer EV with a Maverick, which I consider to be a more practical pickup truck, but the Maverick is so popular I cannot find one, so I am stuck buying a Colorado Long bed, which is a far better Pickup than the Hummer EV.

· Registered
306 Posts
I ordered my R1S in late 2021 after the R1T test drives started, I was a Rivian skeptic before, but talking to Seth at Electrek, he told me he drove the R1T, and ordered an R1S as soon as he got back from the first drive. Rivian has built 2 consumer vehicles and swept a ton of awards with both of them, not all the reviewers can be wrong, right? Rivian latest date for me to take delivery is Summer 2023, so hopefully just 6-8 more months to wait. I bet I get my R1S before anyone gets a Hummer EV ordered the same day...
No argument here. @Msv5010 said the website is saying if you place a reservation now, you may receive it in 2023. Given the timing of your reservation and purported delivery timing, that seems off. We have a May ‘21 R1S order with the same delivery timing as yours (July - Sept ‘23). I’d hope to receive it before someone placing a reservation today!

· Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No argument here. @Msv5010 said the website is saying if you place a reservation now, you may receive it in 2023. Given the timing of your reservation and purported delivery timing, that seems off. We have a May ‘21 R1S order with the same delivery timing as yours (July - Sept ‘23). I’d hope to receive it before someone placing a reservation today!
Same, I am July to Sept, but my buddy who ordered his R1S in 2020, is winter 2023, which makes no sense, but might be his config is different than mine. I just went with the white, 21 wheels, and upgrade package, nothing special.

Rivian has 2 hits on their hands, if they can just ramp production they are popping the big 2.5 in the mouth much more than Tesla has.

· Registered
306 Posts
Same, I am July to Sept, but my buddy who ordered his R1S in 2020, is winter 2023, which makes no sense, but might be his config is different than mine. I just went with the white, 21 wheels, and upgrade package, nothing special.

Rivian has 2 hits on their hands, if they can just ramp production they are popping the big 2.5 in the mouth much more than Tesla has.
Ours is supposed to be Limestone on 22s (partly bc at one point the 21s were thought to be a delaying factor). I wanted the 20s but the range hit seems too great for what’s supposed to be my wife’s car.

· Registered
306 Posts
I went with the 21's due to cost, the R1S will replace our E-Tron, so wanted it to be similarly tame
They also just announced the EPA range being reduced on both 22s and 20s while 21s went up, so my choice is looking less and less good but afraid to change and further delay delivery.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts