GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
1,217 Posts
I have a couple complaints with the F150 Lightning, its expensive for what it is, and has awful rear ground clearance, followed one on the freeway, the rear control arms, and motor are very low. Missing heat pump, and other tech an EV priced at 100K should have.
The reason the Hummer has such good ground clearance with those things is because the bed is so high off the ground. Lightning would be a lot less functional as a truck.

· Registered
1,217 Posts
Not exactly, the Hummer has a high bed because the packaging of the rear drive unit, Silverado E already addresses that with new drive unit design, If GM designed their drive units like Lucid, the bed could be the lowest in class and still have good ground clearance. The Hummer has a lot of air, and hollow space under the bed and above the ground clearance, not the best packaging.
Silverado and Sierra are only available with dual motors, not three. I don't think Lucid's motor design would hold up to the abuse a 9200 lbs pickup with a 7k tow rating would put on it.

· Registered
1,217 Posts
As far as a motor is concerned HP and Torque output is HP and Torque output, does not matter the config, for the final drive gears though I agree with you, Hummer needs strong gears, that said, the box can be made more compact. I built drive boxes for turbine engines that turn 20k rpm input, and have 1500 ft lbs input, 3500 ft lbs output that were smaller and lighter then the Hummer Box, Good design does not have to be big and heavy. The drive boxes we built drive a propeller in the water, on a hydroplane the prop goes in and out of the water for loading and unloading every few seconds with a 40 lb propeller turning 8-9K rpm, that is serious stress on the gears and shaft, I have seen it turn a 2" Heat Treated Vasco shaft into a drill bit.
Load is going to be at least quadruple to maintain highway speed. More load, more heat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts