GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
I disagree. Vice President made a strong statement that dealers will not be allowed to mark up.
Strong statements do not equate to illegal. GMC does not own any dealership. It isn’t even a franchise. It is a business transaction. About the only thing GMC can do is limit/eliminate future allocations of Hummers.

The only way the courts get involved is if they did promise/agree to a certain price and then try to back out of it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Going to court just sounds like a very long process spend a lot of money on lawyers and in the end still won’t solve nothing because that dealer has no legal obligation to sell there products for MSRP. Sorry for not being optimistic

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
I disagree. Vice President made a strong statement that dealers will not be allowed to mark up.
Who made that statement? Duncan Aldred, and other GM execs said GM will push dealers to sell them at MSRP, but there is nothing GM can do to force them, other than threatening to take future allocations, but that does not help you. Do you understand dealer franchise law? Dealers can do what they want on pricing, GM however can take actions as well, that may or may not help on your situation. Every GM offer though has the disclaimer that dealer sets the final price... so you may want to talk to a lawyer before threatening court, because the lawyer can explain the laws to you in terms you might understand.

BTW, have any others on here noticed that we have been hit with these wild claims lately, and only from new accounts? I am not buying it fully, and think some of these folks are full of sh--. Talking to my dealer, he said GM gives the dealers 4 specific things to discuss directly with customers when placing the order, pricing being one of them, and my dealer specifically told me the pricing will be MSRP, but could not guarantee MSRP will remain unchanged.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Why the f would I waste my time here on a dealer marking up if it ain’t true? You should bet me so we can make this convo worthwhile.
Exactly, why are you wasting your time on here? I think most do not believe you, and those that might, think you are a fool, making clearly outlandish statements about suing. Any lawyer is going to tell you to save your time and money, just contact GM and let them handle it which may require a dealer change and new order.

As for betting, I do not care enough to bet, and have no way to prove one way or another. But you seem to be a copy cat to the account @Snay which posted a similar story from the same dealership brand last week, but did not report back to us with a conclusion after tweeting GM execs.

Bottom line, if you are legit, you have not followed the advise GM gave multiple times which is to negotiate the final price up front, and before you order. Then you have a leg to stand on.

·
Registered
106 Posts
This is why I think dealers of this kind and most all of them will be a thing of the past. Trust me Cadillac bought off and paid out all their small dealers and has a very very small dealer footprint. If they pull dealers out of the markets then sell consumer direct (Tesla/ Saturn) then they can control what happens otherwise they can not. I see GM moving towards this model such as they are taking Cadillac. I do not see them keeping fat cat dealers who set ridiculous mark up on vehicles hoping to catch that one person who actually would pay that.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
This is why I think dealers of this kind and most all of them will be a thing of the past. Trust me Cadillac bought off and paid out all their small dealers and has a very very small dealer footprint. If they pull dealers out of the markets then sell consumer direct (Tesla/ Saturn) then they can control what happens otherwise they can not. I see GM moving towards this model such as they are taking Cadillac. I do not see them keeping fat cat dealers who set ridiculous mark up on vehicles hoping to catch that one person who actually would pay that.
Right now we are in a strange time for auto companies and dealers where the balance of supply is way short of demand, but this will not always be the case. Let's remember Tesla who you mention has raised prices 25% so far the last year, where as GM has not raised prices on the Hummer since it was unveiled in Fall 2020. I have bought hundreds of vehicles from dealers over my lifetime, and the first car I ever paid MSRP for was my Tesla Y, every pickup I have bought got at least 5% discounts from MSRP, so I for one like the dealer model where I can negotiate. This time of supply shortage will pass, and we will be back to being able to negotiation prices, meanwhile Tesla buyers always pay full price... I also like the dealer service model, if I call for service, it's usually next day, Tesla on the other hand is 3 to 5 weeks out currently, and that is just to look at your car, if you need parts, its longer...

On the Cadillac story you have mostly right, but not exactly... Cadillac demanded that dealers put about $200-500K into modernizing their dealerships and tooling up for EV's, for many dealers which sell only 20 Cadillacs a year it was not worth it to make the upgrades, so GM bought out their franchise, at the same time GM sold some new franchises in markets they feel are key for their EV push. The net was about a 35% reduction in Cadillac stores which is a good thing to have larger and better equipped stores. Cadillac stores are still mostly low volume and not nearly as efficient as say Lexus stores, GM is hoping to change that over the next decade with the new models, we will have to wait and see if it works the way GM plans. I mean, I think Lyriq is nice, but not perfect in design or execution to hit the center of that premium crossover segment.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sucks your dealer is pushing for a mark-up. Hopefully you can work out a solution with GM to move it to a dealership down the street. It's definitely worth spending a day or two on the phone to save the $50k. This story encouraged me to double check with my dealer, they confirmed a $600 processing fee only, no market adjustment, which works just fine for me.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Sucks your dealer is pushing for a mark-up. Hopefully you can work out a solution with GM to move it to a dealership down the street. It's definitely worth spending a day or two on the phone to save the $50k. This story encouraged me to double check with my dealer, they confirmed a $600 processing fee only, no market adjustment, which works just fine for me.
$600 processing fee? WTF is that? Our dealer charges a $150 DOC fee, but the state law says that fee is negotiable.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Mines told me a $300 fee which I was more then fine with. Then I asked my sales man what does he drink. I’ll be bringing him a nice bottle of tequila on delivery day.

·
Registered
51 Posts
$600 processing fee? WTF is that? Our dealer charges a $150 DOC fee, but the state law says that fee is negotiable.
The dealership Alpine GMC has been been fantastic at keeping in touch and keeping me up to date. $150, $300, $600 for that fee is worth it to me. We spend that much on an evening out.
Now if they weren’t informed, treated us poorly, or otherwise added no value… I would have a different opinion.
Personally, I’m in a line of business where I charge more than peers, but we are better than our peers. So if Alpine is going to be first class in service, I’ll pay the marginal difference for the enhanced service.
Now, I’m not going to pay $50k. But if a few hundred bucks helps them and helps me with better service.. great investment for both parties.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
The dealership Alpine GMC has been been fantastic at keeping in touch and keeping me up to date. $150, $300, $600 for that fee is worth it to me. We spend that much on an evening out.
Now if they weren’t informed, treated us poorly, or otherwise added no value… I would have a different opinion.
Personally, I’m in a line of business where I charge more than peers, but we are better than our peers. So if Alpine is going to be first class in service, I’ll pay the marginal difference for the enhanced service.
Now, I’m not going to pay $50k. But if a few hundred bucks helps them and helps me with better service.. great investment for both parties.
Ya, I look at it different, the dealership and salesman get paid in the price of the vehicle, and any additional fee is just gouging. Like you, I have owned a business that offers a premium service, however I do not remember any client offering to pay us more then the contracted price (I have had many clients send me gifts, but not extra money). So if you justify the $600 as a gift, that is fine for you, but what does that mean to the next customer where $600 might be a materiel amount of money? If I walked into the dealership with my blinders on and agreed to all of their BS fees and offers, I am certain they would sell me thousands of dollars of things I don't need, and would not add value to my life. It's like nitrogen filled tires, it's fine for free, but I ain't paying for it. I do not look at any added fees as something I can afford or not, I look at it as right or wrong, and when dealers just add BS fees to an already retail priced product, I put my foot down and say No. Case in point I thought the SuperBowl broadcast was great this year, and we did not have a single glitch on the TV, should I add something to my cable bill as a bonus to the cable company for doing perfect job? F no, I expect them to do a perfect job. So if you like to throw money away, have at it... but thinking you get any value above for that fee, you are just kidding yourself. These fees are just another way dealerships have figured to gouge customers, and I guess some customers do not value their money the same way I do. I will not pay the $150 doc fee on my HummerEV, because its bogus, the dealers know its bogus, some states even have laws that the dealer has to disclose that the fee is negotiable. Man, if you happily pay that feel I would hate to see you in the mortgage office where they have the worlds biggest collection of bogus fees.

·
Super Moderator
457 Posts
Ya, I look at it different, the dealership and salesman get paid in the price of the vehicle, and any additional fee is just gouging. Like you, I have owned a business that offers a premium service, however I do not remember any client offering to pay us more then the contracted price (I have had many clients send me gifts, but not extra money). So if you justify the $600 as a gift, that is fine for you, but what does that mean to the next customer where $600 might be a materiel amount of money? If I walked into the dealership with my blinders on and agreed to all of their BS fees and offers, I am certain they would sell me thousands of dollars of things I don't need, and would not add value to my life. It's like nitrogen filled tires, it's fine for free, but I ain't paying for it. I do not look at any added fees as something I can afford or not, I look at it as right or wrong, and when dealers just add BS fees to an already retail priced product, I put my foot down and say No. Case in point I thought the SuperBowl broadcast was great this year, and we did not have a single glitch on the TV, should I add something to my cable bill as a bonus to the cable company for doing perfect job? F no, I expect them to do a perfect job. So if you like to throw money away, have at it... but thinking you get any value above for that fee, you are just kidding yourself. These fees are just another way dealerships have figured to gouge customers, and I guess some customers do not value their money the same way I do. I will not pay the $150 doc fee on my HummerEV, because its bogus, the dealers know its bogus, some states even have laws that the dealer has to disclose that the fee is negotiable. Man, if you happily pay that feel I would hate to see you in the mortgage office where they have the worlds biggest collection of bogus fees.
Our doc fee just went up last year, but that direction came from the New Car Dealers Association and the Missouri Department of Revenue. The MDOR is working to get a computer system setup in our state to collect sales tax at the dealership much like everywhere else in the country. We were told we had to increase our fee because now it's almost all going to the state for this system. I don't know if this would be considered adding value, but we really didn't have much of a choice in the matter.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Our doc fee just went up last year, but that direction came from the New Car Dealers Association and the Missouri Department of Revenue. The MDOR is working to get a computer system setup in our state to collect sales tax at the dealership much like everywhere else in the country. We were told we had to increase our fee because now it's almost all going to the state for this system. I don't know if this would be considered adding value, but we really didn't have much of a choice in the matter.
You are just starting to charge sales tax at the dealership? In our state that has been done for at least 30 years that I know if, Sales tax and licensing fees are automatically added to the transaction.

The DOC fee as explained to me at the salesman level is to pay for the administrative staff in the dealership. Our state legislature took issue to it though and forced dealers to put the words "negotiable fee" next to all advertising and paperwork so if the customer knows they can negotiate the fee. In my experience the dealership will not budge on the $150 Doc fee, but will knock $150 additional off the price if you challenge it, which I do every time. I always wait till I am in the finance office to challenge it, haha, so have already squeezed the best deal I can get. Once that is off, then I let them know I have my own financing... haha! Not my first rodeo...

BTW Tesla charges a Doc fee too

Font Parallel Number Screenshot Rectangle

·
Super Moderator
457 Posts
You are just starting to charge sales tax at the dealership? In our state that has been done for at least 30 years that I know if, Sales tax and licensing fees are automatically added to the transaction.

The DOC fee as explained to me at the salesman level is to pay for the administrative staff in the dealership. Our state legislature took issue to it though and forced dealers to put the words "negotiable fee" next to all advertising and paperwork so if the customer knows they can negotiate the fee. In my experience the dealership will not budge on the $150 Doc fee, but will knock $150 additional off the price if you challenge it, which I do every time. I always wait till I am in the finance office to challenge it, haha, so have already squeezed the best deal I can get. Once that is off, then I let them know I have my own financing... haha! Not my first rodeo...

BTW Tesla charges a Doc fee too
That is correct. In Missouri you leave here with temp tags or transfer tags, but still have to go to the DMV to pay sales tax and do title work. I'm pretty sure we are one of the last states still doing it that way. When I moved back here from California that was a big learning curve.

Yes most places will negotiate it. The reason they won't budge on that is if they charge one person they have to charge all. There was a lawsuit here at a dealer where one contract didn't show an actual doc fee and they had to pay back every single person that had been charged there. That's why they circle around it like that. My parents have done that most of my life. Dealers assume they are financing with them and get very aggressive on price just for them to pay cash or have outside financing. I know most of the tricks. Haha.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.