GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
That’s what I was thinking based on the numerous 12V issues we’ve seen in this board, but I would think GM would have known to suggest looking in to that first, so it’s interesting that the tik tok mentioned that GM was unable to help
People post on Tik Tok to get clicks, not to report facts.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes, from sitting and transport. The dealer said it happened often and the have to get 6 people to push it into service. One thing to remember is do not close your door if the 12v battery is dead, the window will be in the fully closed position and could break if you close the door.

Maybe a deep cycle or lithium could solve it?

many have been sitting for a long time
Did they say why the 12 v battery went dead?

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
686 Posts
Maybe a deep cycle or lithium could solve it?
These are most likely AGM, which are supposed to have very little vampire drain, unlike lead acid. My Bolt and Mach E both have AGM batteries, and I put a deep cycle AGM on my boat.

If you go to other EV forums, like Mach E or Rivian, the same battery issue seems to occur often on those as well. Not only that, but then because of the PAAK (phone as a key) feature, people also complain that the car apps cause the phone batteries to drain too fast. The phone and the vehicle are always trying to pick up a Bluetooth connection.

·
Registered
C7 Corvette, H3X Hummer
124 Posts
These are most likely AGM, which are supposed to have very little vampire drain, unlike lead acid. My Bolt and Mach E both have AGM batteries, and I put a deep cycle AGM on my boat.

If you go to other EV forums, like Mach E or Rivian, the same battery issue seems to occur often on those as well. Not only that, but then because of the PAAK (phone as a key) feature, people also complain that the car apps cause the phone batteries to drain too fast. The phone and the vehicle are always trying to pick up a Bluetooth connection.
When does this 12v battery get charged? Combustion cars have Bluetooth, WiFI, Apps and remote start with both key fob and iPhone. My battery in my corvette lasted 5 years. Not buying it.

·
Registered
2019, Chevy Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,260 Posts
When does this 12v battery get charged? Combustion cars have Bluetooth, WiFI, Apps and remote start with both key fob and iPhone. My battery in my corvette lasted 5 years. Not buying it this.
EVs have much more monitoring systems and the Hummer also has walk up and away light animation. Constantly looking for the fob.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
686 Posts
EVs have much more monitoring systems and the Hummer also has walk up and away light animation. Constantly looking for the fob.
Also, these vehicles are "connected" (4G/LTE or Wifi) and looking for OTA updates as well. The 12V should be charged when the vehicle is plugged in to an L2 charger and while driving. But when they sit at dealers for a while, they are likely not always plugged in. Also the 12V batteries in EVs are not used to crank the engine, so they are lower power batteries to begin with.

·
Registered
C7 Corvette, H3X Hummer
124 Posts
Also, these vehicles are "connected" (4G/LTE or Wifi) and looking for OTA updates as well. The 12V should be charged when the vehicle is plugged in to an L2 charger and while driving. But when they sit at dealers for a while, they are likely not always plugged in. Also the 12V batteries in EVs are not used to crank the engine, so they are lower power batteries to begin with.
So for those who are EV owners, what is the life expectancy of these accessory batteries?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts