GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,913 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
I don't get the need to have a single point as the highest point and an immediate downward slope instead of just a normal roof. Rear seat headroom and space is severely hamstrung by that roofline.

Should have done something more like:
Wheel Sky Tire Vehicle Car

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
815 Posts
I don't get the need to have a single point as the highest point and an immediate downward slope instead of just a normal roof. Rear seat headroom and space is severely hamstrung by that roofline.

Should have done something more like:
View attachment 3480
Ha Ha, it is Tesla, they have to have that "turtle" look on all vehicles.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I haven't paid much attention to CT...it looked like it was designed for supersonic velocities and/or stealth operation, but made no sense for conventional sub-sonic non-military EV truck duty:). Must have been SpaceX-designed.

The whole sales pitch for the odd look was its simple all-stainless "exoskeleton" structure. Won't need conventional internal structural elements, making it both lighter and stiffer than conventional construction.

Looking at it closer now, the whole exoskeleton concept turns out to be a hoax. The only way that concept would work is if the SS side panels, with the fore-to-aft stiffening crease, were solid from tip to tail. But the door openings totally destroy the structural exoskeleton effect and the weird low-angle front-rear slopes are structurally far from optimal for bridging the openings. To get the CT beyond concept, it appears Tesla had to go big-time into fitting conventional structural pillars into it to make it actually work.

Reminds me a bit of my old 1990 Chevy Lumina APV, which had similar front-end construction. Very-sloped windshield. Decent mini-van in many ways. a great family driver, great range, got 28 mpg, and with the most versatile seating system I've ever owned. Loonnnggg dashboard-to-windshield. Crappy plastic body panels. Paint didn't stick, discolored, etc. And all kinds of electrical problems. Maybe the APV was a Tesla before there was Tesla:).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts