GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking ahead to this coming fall and winter I wanted to get the expert insight from this community. Planning on spending a good amount of time in the snow and mountains with the truck while skiing. I've done the mountain drive in the warmer summer conditions and there's no issue with the range on a 100% charge making it up the hill and back down. There's almost zero L2 charging available on the route so at best there is a L1 charger at the main resort we stay or I could run a 110v extension cord from our condo out to the parking lot for the trickle charge.

Questions for the community
  • Will the freezing temps dramatically reduce the range of the vehicle? (Only electronics I can compare are cell phone and GoPro which drain their batterys super fast to just stay warm and operate in sub 32 F weather)
  • Using the 110V charging cord that came with the truck and a standard extension cord any issues with snow falling on the charger while plugged in or junction between the extension cord and charger adapter?

Thanks as always to this very insightful crew!

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Looking ahead to this coming fall and winter I wanted to get the expert insight from this community. Planning on spending a good amount of time in the snow and mountains with the truck while skiing. I've done the mountain drive in the warmer summer conditions and there's no issue with the range on a 100% charge making it up the hill and back down. There's almost zero L2 charging available on the route so at best there is a L1 charger at the main resort we stay or I could run a 110v extension cord from our condo out to the parking lot for the trickle charge.

Questions for the community
  • Will the freezing temps dramatically reduce the range of the vehicle? (Only electronics I can compare are cell phone and GoPro which drain their batterys super fast to just stay warm and operate in sub 32 F weather)
  • Using the 110V charging cord that came with the truck and a standard extension cord any issues with snow falling on the charger while plugged in or junction between the extension cord and charger adapter?

Thanks as always to this very insightful crew!
Level 1 on the HummerEV, OUCH! maybe if you have a week or two to charge.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I got 1 mph on the 110v charger, in my hot garage. I can’t image what cold weather would do, maybe slow/stop the natural discharge, like a trickle charger?
Thats kind of what I was thinking.. we go up for multiple days so the truck will just be sitting in the parking lot at the condo. Figured maybe the 'trickle' would keep it from depleting when it tries to stay warm. I know when I use my GoPro in non-freezing temps I get hours of battery life for filming but skiing each battery at best has 1 hour of life b/c its trying to keep the camera electronics warm enough to function. Figured the truck will do something similar.

And was also wondering about snow / ice / water + electricicty of the charger and connection to the extension cord. Dont need to be shorting out the truck or house circuits.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,571 Posts
Thats kind of what I was thinking.. we go up for multiple days so the truck will just be sitting in the parking lot at the condo. Figured maybe the 'trickle' would keep it from depleting when it tries to stay warm. I know when I use my GoPro in non-freezing temps I get hours of battery life for filming but skiing each battery at best has 1 hour of life b/c its trying to keep the camera electronics warm enough to function. Figured the truck will do something similar.

And was also wondering about snow / ice / water + electricicty of the charger and connection to the extension cord. Dont need to be shorting out the truck or house circuits.
I mean there are outdoor extension cords designed to keep the connections secure and the level 1 charger should be fine in all weather.

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
1,096 Posts
Did you let your Hummer cold soak, and verify the performance?
The heat pump will actually steal latent heat from the pack when the pack is cold in order to warm the cabin up faster. I didn't have the Hummer while we had any serious cold, but it heated up the cabin faster than any other EV I've had.

As for charging on 110v in sub-freezing, it's mostly an assumption based on the cabin heating behavior. At -15F my Bolt EV was barely getting 1 mph into the pack on 12A 110v.

·
Registered
133 Posts
@KirkwoodBum Assuming you're talking about the Kirkwood Mountain Resort at the top of CA Hwy 88, the Carson Pass Highway, Plugshare shows the resort now has (4) L2 Chargepoint chargers in the VIP parking lot. $$$$ in season, apparently free off-season. An interesting recent user comment about Kirkwood staff's attitude:

3 of 4 ChargePoint chargers working. Recently replaced the 5 of 6 broken free Tesla chargers. Kirkwood staff openly hostile to EV and will be of no help to any difficulties. “Who brings an electric to the mountains anyway?” was a comment from front desk staff when there was only one working charger over New Years week

Pulling a Hummer EV into the lot and plugging in is the perfect retort. I suspect within a year, with the "avalanche" of Hummers, Rivians, etc, that will driving to ski resorts next winter (and assuming the western drought finally breaks), a whole other attitude will evolve.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@KirkwoodBum Assuming you're talking about the Kirkwood Mountain Resort at the top of CA Hwy 88, the Carson Pass Highway, Plugshare shows the resort now has (4) L2 Chargepoint chargers in the VIP parking lot. $$$$ in season, apparently free off-season. An interesting recent user comment about Kirkwood staff's attitude:

3 of 4 ChargePoint chargers working. Recently replaced the 5 of 6 broken free Tesla chargers. Kirkwood staff openly hostile to EV and will be of no help to any difficulties. “Who brings an electric to the mountains anyway?” was a comment from front desk staff when there was only one working charger over New Years week

Pulling a Hummer EV into the lot and plugging in is the perfect retort. I suspect within a year, with the "avalanche" of Hummers, Rivians, etc, that will driving to ski resorts next winter (and assuming the western drought finally breaks), a whole other attitude will evolve.
You sir have guessed correctly. There's definitely a community debate about those 3 chargers that are now there and how Vail's viewing the EV driving customer. Since we are up at our condo for extended periods of time I've been wondering if doing the 110v trickle will be useful at all. Issue I saw with the chargers this past winter is people would leave their vehicles connected the entire day while skiing despite being at full charge and having the penalty charges accuring. Saw my first Rivian there one day with a Mach E guy sitting on 11% charge who had been waiting 3 hours for the truck owner to come back and move it despite it being full when the Mach E guy showed up around noon.

Totally agree the landscape is changing and offering 3 charge points for an entire community and ski resort will be nowhere close to sufficient as the EV adoption continues.

·
Registered
133 Posts
You sir have guessed correctly. There's definitely a community debate about those 3 chargers that are now there and how Vail's viewing the EV driving customer. Since we are up at our condo for extended periods of time I've been wondering if doing the 110v trickle will be useful at all. Issue I saw with the chargers this past winter is people would leave their vehicles connected the entire day while skiing despite being at full charge and having the penalty charges accuring. Saw my first Rivian there one day with a Mach E guy sitting on 11% charge who had been waiting 3 hours for the truck owner to come back and move it despite it being full when the Mach E guy showed up around noon.

Totally agree the landscape is changing and offering 3 charge points for an entire community and ski resort will be nowhere close to sufficient as the EV adoption continues.
Going the next step, I ran my Hummer performance model to see about how much it would take to push up from Jackson to Kirkwood at various speeds, assuming average 20 deg. F air temperature, dry road, fair day (no rain or falling snow). Looks like a steady 55 mph would use about 61 kWh of pack energy. It might be less than that, as I plugged in 4 kW for the HVAC, but with all the drive unit heat from a 50+ kW load, the heat pump likely will keep both the cabin and pack toasty with just 2 kW.

It gets messier if the road is wet or worse, snowy. Both aero and rolling resistance go up. I didn't print it out, but probably more like 70 kWh for the 57 mile stretch.

If you are concerned about "range loss" from the Hummer pack cold-soaking a few days, yes, you'll get some temporary losses, but so long as you have at least 40% SOC at the top, you should be good-to-go for descending. Might not get max re-gen until the pack warms up, but that should return once it gets warm again, as well as recovering your "lost range" as the pack warms up. I believe once you start driving, the battery thermal management system will engage the glycol loop heater to help "goose" the battery up to full driving temp. With that big battery, probably burn about 5-6 kWh to get there.

The good news is the descent back down to the valley is almost free, energy-wise. a lot of coasting some regen braking. Not a lot of accelerating. I came up with net energy use about 5 kWh, including 4 kW of pack thermal heat load. Not sure where "home base" is, but looks like if you start with a full 100% pack from either Sac or Stockton, and don't race to Jackson or up 88, you can probably handle about anything you run into going up there and get back to civilization with some SOC left to get you home. I've inserted a clip from the model output that summarizes the relevant data. Left off all the rolling and aero calc stuff. You'd need a 6' monitor to read all that:)
Font Parallel Rectangle Pattern Symmetry

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That’s awesome analysis @HVACman !! Thank you.

I’ve done the trip this summer and had plenty left when we got back home in Sac. Definitely seems like while cold will have a minor impact it’s nothing like the personal electronics world and I can always go over and stalk the L2 chargers if needed.

really looking forward to seeing how it handles in snow and ice. Between the aggressive MT tire tread, vehicle weight and constant wheel power should be a much different experience that myGMC SUVs and Audi A7

1 - 15 of 15 Posts