GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Ours is around 16-18 miles per hour when plugging it in sub 50%. Only tend to plug in once a week at most unless we are roadtripping as the range for around town driving has been amazing.
The happiest EV is one that is plugged in as much as possible I've always heard. For battery health, 12v health, etc.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Question regarding charging and what I have heard about battery issues. Does the 12 volt battery get charged while plugged in or only when the main batteries are connected, aka while the vehicle is on/driving?
The truck maintains the 12v when it is on (aka driving or sitting turned on, etc.). The truck also maintains it when off and plugged in if needed. I'm not sure about when its off and not plugged in? -> @Tom E-Tron? I.e. letting it sit unplugged a very long time raise 12v issues unless it reconnects and the HV chargers it. Overall the HV battery stays disconnected when truck is not in use for safety.

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
898 Posts
The truck maintains the 12v when it is on (aka driving or sitting turned on, etc.). The truck also maintains it when off and plugged in if needed. I'm not sure about when its off and not plugged in? -> @Tom E-Tron? I.e. letting it sit unplugged a very long time raise 12v issues unless it reconnects and the HV chargers it. Overall the HV battery stays disconnected when truck is not in use for safety.
There is a schedule for when it checks and tops up the battery when it's unplugged. I don't know what it is offhand though. It's not user adjustable

·
Registered
23 Posts
Travwill/Dark-FX,
Thanks for the info. I spend a lot of time overseas and the truck will be sitting in the garage plugged in. After hearing about the battery issues I was concerned that when I came home there might be a high chance the 12V would be dead if not maintained by the charger/main batteries. So, good news to hear that is not the case.

thanks again,

J

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
898 Posts
Travwill/Dark-FX,
Thanks for the info. I spend a lot of time overseas and the truck will be sitting in the garage plugged in. After hearing about the battery issues I was concerned that when I came home there might be a high chance the 12V would be dead if not maintained by the charger/main batteries. So, good news to hear that is not the case.

thanks again,

J
If it's more than a month, you're actually supposed to leave it with the 12V battery disconnected. The behavior changes after a long period of time. Might make sense to hook up an AGM trickle charger on the battery as a secondary measure if you don't want to disconnect it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If it's more than a month, you're actually supposed to leave it with the 12V battery disconnected. The behavior changes after a long period of time. Might make sense to hook up an AGM trickle charger on the battery as a secondary measure if you don't want to disconnect it.
Dark-FX,

Ok, that makes sense. I will do that.

thank you,

J

1 - 14 of 14 Posts