GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure many of you are aware that there are a few companies making J1772 adaptors that allow one to use a Tesla Home Charge EVSE (aka "Wall Connector") to charge a J1772 compliant vehicle.

When I received my Hummer EV I was advised NOT to use one of these adaptor. My question is WHY? I certainly do not want to damage my new vehicle but want to better understand what the potential harmful issues are? Can any one explain this or is GMC saying "Don't do it" out of an abundance of caution?

Appreciate any and all constructive insight!

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quick update since I am not a real Tesla guy the last Tesla Gen 3 charger can only deliver 48amps. For what it is worth. Gen 2's had High Power 80amps for their dual charger cars that are no longer being made (older S and X models.) In any event the Hummer is only going to draw 11.5kw so the 48 connector should be good enough.
JefferyAlmoney, as it will become very clear, I have little to no basic understanding of electricity and how EV's charge. I appreciate your response (I appreciate EVERYBODY'S responses) because you mentioned the Gen 2 Tesla Chargers, which I have 2 of. I'm curious as to why you say the Hummer is only going to draw 11.5kw? Please forgive me if this is "Electric Vehicle Charging 101" but I'm curious as to what limited the rate?

AND I've purchased the 80amp version of the TeslaTap and wondered what your thought (and EVERYBODY'S) to use it with these 80amp Tesla Chargers to charge the Hummer EV?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts