GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure many of you are aware that there are a few companies making J1772 adaptors that allow one to use a Tesla Home Charge EVSE (aka "Wall Connector") to charge a J1772 compliant vehicle.

When I received my Hummer EV I was advised NOT to use one of these adaptor. My question is WHY? I certainly do not want to damage my new vehicle but want to better understand what the potential harmful issues are? Can any one explain this or is GMC saying "Don't do it" out of an abundance of caution?

Appreciate any and all constructive insight!

·
Registered
2014 ELR, 2018 CT6 PHEV, 2022 HEV1
142 Posts
I'm sure many of you are aware that there are a few companies making J1772 adaptors that allow one to use a Tesla Home Charge EVSE (aka "Wall Connector") to charge a J1772 compliant vehicle.

When I received my Hummer EV I was advised NOT to use one of these adaptor. My question is WHY? I certainly do not want to damage my new vehicle but want to better understand what the potential harmful issues are? Can any one explain this or is GMC saying "Don't do it" out of an abundance of caution?

Appreciate any and all constructive insight!
I don’t have my Hummer yet, but I have Teslatap connectors for my ELR and my CT6 PHEV. You would want to be sure to have a high power version for the Hummer’s 11.5KW capability. I’m looking at getting this adapter:
TeslaTap Mini - Tesla to J-1772 Adapter - 60 AMP - Made in USA
https://a.co/d/3R05h1m

·
Registered
142 Posts
Worked fine for us. The concern is if you use an adapter that is only rated for 40A, it doesn't tell the car that, it just passes through what the Tesla charger is rated for.
To your point what Amperage do you really need in this device. There is also an 80AMP version. This would be what you need to support the Lyriq at full speed from a Tesla charger that can deliver the performance for 19.2KW. Amazon.com

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
1,102 Posts
To your point what Amperage do you really need in this device. There is also an 80AMP version. This would be what you need to support the Lyriq at full speed from a Tesla charger that can deliver the performance for 19.2KW. Amazon.com
I have an 80A one, it worked on some of the Tesla chargers, but not ones that were on commercial 277V. Tesla will charge off that but I don't know of any J1772 spec cars that will.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Quick update since I am not a real Tesla guy the last Tesla Gen 3 charger can only deliver 48amps. For what it is worth. Gen 2's had High Power 80amps for their dual charger cars that are no longer being made (older S and X models.) In any event the Hummer is only going to draw 11.5kw so the 48 connector should be good enough.

·
Registered
142 Posts
While we are on the topic of charging and connections. Anyone have opinions on using a Natural Gas Generator to supply power for charging. Some EVSE's and the Owners Manual have this language:

Do not use portable or stationary backup
generating equipment to charge the
vehicle. This may cause damage to the
vehicle's charging system. Only charge
the vehicle from utility supplied power.

I run my whole house on my generator seems bizarre that the EVSE and Vehicle cannot use the generator power.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,576 Posts
While we are on the topic of charging and connections. Anyone have opinions on using a Natural Gas Generator to supply power for charging. Some EVSE's and the Owners Manual have this language:

Do not use portable or stationary backup
generating equipment to charge the
vehicle. This may cause damage to the
vehicle's charging system. Only charge
the vehicle from utility supplied power.

I run my whole house on my generator seems bizarre that the EVSE and Vehicle cannot use the generator power.

Thoughts?
This warning is here because some generators do not/can not provide clean power and will fluctuate the voltage causing the charger or other electrical equipment damage. You need a clean stable power supply. Generators that can provide a regulated/clean pure sine wave that is identical to or even better than utility supplied power is recommended. (especially now since we have soo many sensitive electronics in our homes)

·
Registered
142 Posts
This warning is here because some generators do not/can not provide clean power and will fluctuate the voltage causing the charger or other electrical equipment damage. You need a clean stable power supply. Generators that can provide a regulated/clean pure sine wave that is identical to or even better than utility supplied power is recommended. (especially now since we have soo many sensitive electronics in our homes)
OK I will admit that I have charged my other EVs using the Generator during the "Loaded Exercise Test that I run once a week" no damage has occurred. This includes the Transfer switch flipping back to Utility power.

·
Registered
142 Posts
You really run that test weekly?
I only run a test 4 times per year!
As recommended by my my son who owns a generator sales and maintenance company!
Do you lose power often? I’m good for 1-2 times per year!
I do a ten minute run weekly at peak rate. Just a force of habit. Maybe I’ll try monthly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quick update since I am not a real Tesla guy the last Tesla Gen 3 charger can only deliver 48amps. For what it is worth. Gen 2's had High Power 80amps for their dual charger cars that are no longer being made (older S and X models.) In any event the Hummer is only going to draw 11.5kw so the 48 connector should be good enough.
JefferyAlmoney, as it will become very clear, I have little to no basic understanding of electricity and how EV's charge. I appreciate your response (I appreciate EVERYBODY'S responses) because you mentioned the Gen 2 Tesla Chargers, which I have 2 of. I'm curious as to why you say the Hummer is only going to draw 11.5kw? Please forgive me if this is "Electric Vehicle Charging 101" but I'm curious as to what limited the rate?

AND I've purchased the 80amp version of the TeslaTap and wondered what your thought (and EVERYBODY'S) to use it with these 80amp Tesla Chargers to charge the Hummer EV?

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,576 Posts
JefferyAlmoney, as it will become very clear, I have little to no basic understanding of electricity and how EV's charge. I appreciate your response (I appreciate EVERYBODY'S responses) because you mentioned the Gen 2 Tesla Chargers, which I have 2 of. I'm curious as to why you say the Hummer is only going to draw 11.5kw? Please forgive me if this is "Electric Vehicle Charging 101" but I'm curious as to what limited the rate?

AND I've purchased the 80amp version of the TeslaTap and wondered what your thought (and EVERYBODY'S) to use it with these 80amp Tesla Chargers to charge the Hummer EV?
The ED1 Hummer EV Pickup only has an 11.5 kW charger installed in the vehicle, starting in the 2024 model year along with the SUV a 19.2 kW (80amp) Charger will be available.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The ED1 Hummer EV Pickup only has an 11.5 kW charger installed in the vehicle, starting in the 2024 model year along with the SUV a 19.2 kW (80amp) Charger will be available.
You just need to be sure that the draw from the vehicle and the amount of current the charger you are using is supported by the converter you are using. You can use the 80amp version safely and have a future proof connecter for the coming machines supporting 19.2kw.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts