GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being this is my first EV, I have some questions on charging. Everything I've been able to find is saying GM is not recommending we avoid charging to 100% like some other manufacturers. Any advice on regular charging? Is there any optimal strategy?

Thanks.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Being this is my first EV, I have some questions on charging. Everything I've been able to find is saying GM is not recommending we avoid charging to 100% like some other manufacturers. Any advice on regular charging? Is there any optimal strategy?

Thanks.
I haven’t seen them recommending against it either, BUT with that said it probably is good to find a sweet spot on the lower side as lithium ion batteries (depending on the chemistry) encounter decent pressure at 100% or so or however ya could word it that would cause them to degrade faster, etc.

If you could probably live charging around 80% or so, even 70% on a daily basis where you usage stays between 30-70% - that is pretty sweet for batteries. Then if your going to be going long distance more or on a trip - start at the 80-100% range as needed.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Ultium's chemistry is supposed to be more tolerant of 100% charges, but I wouldn't regularly charge over 90%
Ya, I heard Andy Oury say charge it however you want, but I know Nickel based lithium batteries do not like 100% charges as a general rule. I subscribe to the 90% for daily charging or 100% if you re going on a road trip. I also think running the battery below 30% and leaving it sit is not a good idea, when run to a low SOC, should be recharged as soon as possible. Take care of your battery, and it should take care of you.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Thanks.
GM puts in some ”head” room on the battery so you are probably good to charge to 100%. That being said, I generally plug in everyday so I rarely need to ever charge above 85%.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts