GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Using the Clipper Creek charger that was sent with the car. How do I limit the charger amperage?
Gosh, the CC that comes with the car is made max for a 60 amp breaker, to charge at 48 amps. There are probably some switches or so to lower that since it isn't a smart/software based charger. Go on their site and get manual. If you have a 40 amp breaker, yes 32 amps will be your limit - always 80% of what you have is the max.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
686 Posts
If you can do 100amp i say do that. Then if they even come out with a faster charger like tesla has 78amp you will be ready. Not much price diff on 60 amp and 100 amp breaker.
You have to make sure you have the correct wire size for either of those choices, it is not as simple as changing the breaker. If the original plug had a 40A breaker, then it is likely the wiring to the plug is not correct for 60A or 100A.

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
898 Posts
Make sure you have a qualified electrician wire your charger and install the breaker, this needs to be done right, of it can be a disaster. This is what it looks like if you have the charger not wired correctly... From last weekend...

View attachment 2712
And store thousands of rounds of ammo in your garage.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
And store thousands of rounds of ammo in your garage.
The homeowner commented on Facebook... "It appears it is confirmed for that their was some sort of electrical issue that caused the fire"

Hot day, and 2 EV's both plugged in, I wonder what system they had to charge 2 EV's at once? Easy to speculate that the EV chargers had something to do with it, I just hope the homeowner did not install them himself, and hope he had a permit, or his fight with the Insurance company has just begun. Insurance companies can fight the claims if there was "illegal" (no permit and inspection) electrical work on site.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts