GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
1,224 Posts
I'm underwhelmed, but I'm sure it's one of those things where it's hard to really understand the presence the vehicle has through flat video. I think it has just reaffirmed that I don't understand the ultra-lux GT segment though.

Wonder if it'll be rated to tow anything.

· Registered
1,224 Posts
As Celestiq-chief-engineer Tony Roma points out in an interview, no one seems to have noticed, but the Celestiq's battery pack is not a traditional skateboard like the Lyriq, etc. It is the first Ultium pack to use the variable-height pancake-stacked-cell module designs that allow the pack to shape-shift in tunnels, footwells, and under-seats to optimize the interior space. Taycan's and Lucid Air's system is primitive in comparison.
Calling your design that needs multiple module skus due to packaging constraints advanced is a bit silly to me.

Maybe I just don't understand how cells arranged horizontally could be considered innovative.

Is this the pack he's talking about? Those look like the celestiq wheels. I've seen this in the past but this it the first time I noticed the depression in the rear footwell.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

· Registered
1,224 Posts
Yep. That's the Celestiq pack, hiding right under everyone's noses since 2020. It has at least three different module types. "standard" 24-cell modules like the Hummer under the front passenger seats and the top layer of the rear seat, (2) single pancaked-stacked modules in the "tunnel" between seats (not sure of the cell count - GM never provided an x-ray illustration of that one), and (4) thin double-pancake-stacked modules (12-cell think) in the rear seat footwells + under-rear-seat bottom layer. Creates recessed foot space similar to the empty spaces in the Taycan and Lucid rear seat areas, but manages to get some cells into the space, optimizing both passenger position and space use.

Adding up the cells and modules from above, this appears to be 24 cells more than the Lyriq's 288 cells, which adds up to about 111 kWh as GM advertised. I'm thinking the pack configuration will be 104S3P -a little higher voltage and same amp-hours as the Lyriq. Matches the claim of 200 kW max charging speed instead of 190.

I wonder if they threw that Celestiq pack under a conceptual truck profile just to keep us guessing (wrong) about the truck design. The silverado EV profile doesn't look much like that. No sails, the bed rails are horizontal.

Another note. The press release said it would have an "eTrunk (TM)". Guess if you are willing to spend $300K, GM will give you a passenger EV with a frunk:)

View attachment 3405
They had that image under all the outlines, just wasn't one for the celestiq.

· Registered
1,224 Posts
True, in my, and many other people opinion Celestiq has ugly proportions, and crappy technology.
What tech items are they talking about that you think are crappy? A lot of the bullet point items are "next gen" things that they aren't shipping on any vehicles yet. I find it really hard to judge them before being able to experience them. Obviously Ultium should be an 800V system across the board, and I think that's a huge miss, but having 48V low voltage systems isn't something that GM has shipped on vehicles before, with the exception of mild-hybrid powertrain stuff.

· Registered
1,224 Posts
Crappy tech IMO is the EV stuff (GM Ultium is a marketing thing, not a technology thing, Tesla had better tech 10 years ago), as I have said many times, GM's drive units are crappy, have gear lash, heavy and inefficient. GM philosophy seems to be big heavy cheap gears instead of small lightweight and strong, they also have gear angles that are noisy, lots of gear noise in the Hummer at certain speeds. Yes, the lack of 800V and state of the art charging curve is disappointing. Then you get to GM's immature systems, SuperCruise, Air suspension leveling control is hit and miss on the Hummer, I have completely lost SuperCruise now on mine, cannot even use adaptive cruise control.

Celestiq is a stupid project that has no benefit for the company or brand, believe it or not, even if Celestiq has cool stuff inside (when it works) that does not lift the Cadillac brand that builds mostly badge engineered crap vehicles. I think the CT4-5 are the only exclusive Cadillac cars, everything else is badge engineered from a Chevy. Cadillac should have built a car that is a flagship, but affordable enough and in enough quantities that people see them. Celestiq looks to me like it was initially designed to be a Holden UTE, then got confused. Scanning twitter its pretty negative, even in the EV community, meanwhile Ford working to electrify the Bronco, and Maverick, and listening to customer feedback.

What is up with GM bragging about sand cast mega castings? Is GM brass so ignorant they think the audience does not have an understanding that that is a bad thing? GM trying to badge engineer Tesla trade names onto their inferior products is a joke. Mark Reuss needs to be fired, it's embarrassing GM is so far behind in technology, both EV systems and how cars are built. GM has the engineering talent to be a leader, only management holds them back from doing great things.
Maybe that's why GM is forcing RTO.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts