GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this review was mostly fair, have a hard time seeing them knock it on price when there is no EV even close to the capability and cool factor at this price.

Highway range of 290 miles at 75 mph aligns with what I am seeing. Much higher in mixed driving.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
718 Posts
Comparing to the Lightning and Rivian, I think the Hummer is better than expected. Most people would have expected the R1T to have the best highway range for the three trucks. The Hummer has pretty aggressive tires, weighs more and has more drag. The Rivian got 254 miles in the 70mph range test with the 20 inch all terrains and the Lightning got 283 miles with standard road tires. Slowing down to 70mph probably puts the Hummer over 300 miles, and I would assume going from MT to AT tires would also improve the number.

·
Registered
Waiting on my Spring 2022 Delivery ED1
248 Posts
Comparing to the Lightning and Rivian, I think the Hummer is better than expected. Most people would have expected the R1T to have the best highway range for the three trucks. The Hummer has pretty aggressive tires, weighs more and has more drag. The Rivian got 254 miles in the 70mph range test with the 20 inch all terrains and the Lightning got 283 miles with standard road tires. Slowing down to 70mph probably puts the Hummer over 300 miles, and I would assume going from MT to AT tires would also improve the number.
Rivian R1T has the 180 kWh max pack battery coming, though, for which they're projecting 400+ mile range. That said, if 134kWh gets you 254 miles, 180 kWh will presumably be 341 or less (in light of increased weight).

·
Registered
718 Posts
Rivian R1T has the 180 kWh max pack battery coming, though, for which they're projecting 400+ mile range. That said, if 134kWh gets you 254 miles, 180 kWh will presumably be 341 or less (in light of increased weight).
Assuming they ever deliver the Max Pack. I was not trying to compare efficiency, just in terms of comparing EPA rating to 70mph testing. Ford and GM actually get closer than Rivian did. And GM also used the worst case tires for EPA rating, not best case.

·
Registered
Waiting on my Spring 2022 Delivery ED1
248 Posts
Assuming they ever deliver the Max Pack. I was not trying to compare efficiency, just in terms of comparing EPA rating to 70mph testing. Ford and GM actually get closer than Rivian did. And GM also used the worst case tires for EPA rating, not best case.
Rivian says the 20s cause a 40-mile hit to range so those are worst case for the R1T, too.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Rivian says the 20s cause a 40-mile hit to range so those are worst case for the R1T, too.
Yes, I have read the fine print. I still have my reservation email telling me how the first deliveries would be the max pack with 400 mile range. 3+ years later, those still do not exist. Kind of like the Cybertruck.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes, I have read the fine print. I still have my reservation email telling me how the first deliveries would be the max pack with 400 mile range. 3+ years later, those still do not exist. Kind of like the Cybertruck.
They were also supposed to add a removable roof option in Q1 or Q2 2022 if I remember correctly. I decided to hold off on putting in a reservation for the R1S until both features were officially offered. Fast forward and they still haven’t made either available (removable roof is actually cancelled from what I understand) and they hiked the price in the meantime. No longer interested at this point.

But I digress…

·
Registered
718 Posts
They were also supposed to add a removable roof option in Q1 or Q2 2022 if I remember correctly. I decided to hold off on putting in a reservation for the R1S until both features were officially offered. Fast forward and they still haven’t made either available (removable roof is actually cancelled from what I understand) and they hiked the price in the meantime. No longer interested at this point.

But I digress…
I also wanted the removable roof, that is why I am getting the Hummer. I cancelled my reservation last year for the R1T. I considered getting the R1S for my wife, but we were able to get a Mach E last year.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I thought this review was mostly fair, have a hard time seeing them knock it on price when there is no EV even close to the capability and cool factor at this price.

Highway range of 290 miles at 75 mph aligns with what I am seeing. Much higher in mixed driving.

[/QUOTE

I can’t stand the people with their stupid comments at the end of that article!
Those jerks can just “eat my grits”

·
Registered
121 Posts
This part made me laugh, mostly because it's not that far from the truth the first few times driving it.

At speed, though, its four-wheel-steer mode imparts a rhino-on-Rollerblades sensation, like you're helming one of those fire trucks that has a separate driver for the rear end, and that driver is Bubbles the Chimpanzee after downing a case of Mountain Dew.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This part made me laugh, mostly because it's not that far from the truth the first few times driving it.
Lets be honest, the Hummer is not a good handling vehicle, and for C & D that reviews mostly performance sports cars its awful in comparison. Compare it to driving Ram TRX or Raptor there are more similarities, the 4 wheel steering does create some unfamiliar sensations though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts