GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM Authority asked Cadillac about the origin of the Lyriq name. Cadillac’s head of global brand strategy, Phil Dauchy told them that it's part of a new naming structure for Cadillac where all their vehicles will end in "iq".

These “iq” names will replace the CT# and XT# nomenclature used on current cars and crossovers powered by internal combustion engines and are intended to signal a change of course at Cadillac – that being from ICE to EV.

Dauchy also said the new nomenclature “signals that Cadillac is bringing a different type of vehicle to market, one that works in concert with man, nature, and machine.”

As for how Cadillac came up with Lyriq specifically, Dauchy explained that the name is a nod to the fact that Cadillac is the most mentioned brand in songs. No other brand (not just automotive brands) is mentioned in more songs than Cadillac.

Additionally, the “iq” suffix names provide a sort of alteration of sorts for Cadillac brand cars. With Cadillac and the model name both ending in an “ick” sound, these names roll off the tongue quite well. Take the Cadillac Celestiq nameplate, for example, the smooth-flowing name assigned to the automaker’s upcoming flagship luxury sedan. Speaking of the Celestiq, Dauchy promises fans will be wowed by what the hand-built electric full-size sedan has to offer when it finally debuts.

“When you see [the Cadillac Celestiq], its size, presence and scale all connote the emotion associated with the name,” Dauchy explained.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I get the branding effort, though personally, the whole "iq" choice doesn't seem very cohesive or strong to me, especially "Lyriq." But I will say this, I am a big fan of the "Celestiq" name and especially concept. Everything I hear about this thing points to it being an absolute show-stopper.

"Speaking of the Celestiq, Dauchy promises fans will be wowed by what the hand-built electric full-size sedan has to offer when it finally debuts.

“When you see [the Cadillac Celestiq], its size, presence and scale all connote the emotion associated with the name,” Dauchy explained.
"

This is gonna be BIG ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts