GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
An explosion is nothing more than a rapid burning of some type of fuel. Containing/tamping the fuel exaggerates this which also can cause blast/overpressure of the atmosphere around the explosion. Blowing off garage doors would still be considered blast effects. When burning is concerned “overpressure event” is just another word to make it sound less ominous. Whatever you call it, you still wouldn’t want to be on the other side of the garage doors when they blow off.

GM’s narrative will likely include things like “don’t go below this level of charge”. I don’t want a vehicle that I have to break out an abacus every night to make sure my house isn’t going to catch on fire. Especially when there are other manufacturers with obviously more mature technology. I would be livid if I had a Bolt right now. The Bolt is being sold as being at TRL-9, when I’m reality, it is at TRL-8 at best. I am fine with this except for when it comes to something that could kill my family while I sleep.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
An explosion is nothing more than a rapid burning of some type of fuel. Containing/tamping the fuel exaggerates this which also can cause blast/overpressure of the atmosphere around the explosion. Blowing off garage doors would still be considered blast effects. When burning is concerned “overpressure event” is just another word to make it sound less ominous. Whatever you call it, you still wouldn’t want to be on the other side of the garage doors when they blow off.

GM’s narrative will likely include things like “don’t go below this level of charge”. I don’t want a vehicle that I have to break out an abacus every night to make sure my house isn’t going to catch on fire. Especially when there are other manufacturers with obviously more mature technology. I would be livid if I had a Bolt right now. The Bolt is being sold as being at TRL-9, when I’m reality, it is at TRL-8 at best. I am fine with this except for when it comes to something that could kill my family while I sleep.
EV's have risk using current technology. I agree with you though the technology needs to be user friendly and safe. As for GM's narrative, They have told Bolt owners that their batteries have a chance to be defective, and special treatment should be taken to lower the risk before they get replaced. GM has to do this to limit liability, and most of the Bolts likely have batteries with no defects. Tesla did the same thing to Model S 85 series, but Tesla did it in secret through an OTA software update that lowered battery capacity and charging speed. GM is being much more open and honest with their customers.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
202 Posts
Here is the latest update, a letter from GM to dealers. Someone on the Bolt forums got hold of it. I sure hope that what they learn here in conjunction with LG carries over to the Ultium batteries.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Here is the latest update, a letter from GM to dealers. Someone on the Bolt forums got hold of it. I sure hope that what they learn here in conjunction with LG carries over to the Ultium batteries.
Not really anything new there, sounds like that data is about a week or more old as GM has already extended the downtime at Orion for 2 additional weeks.

GM CFO was on with RBC Capital today, and updated that GM at this point expects full reimbursement for the recall costs from LG, and that high level talks are ongoing about this. He said no word on when the reimbursement will come whether this calendar year or next, but GM expects to maintain current 2021 profit guidance even including the additional $1B in Bolt recall charge, and he announced an additional 100K units of lost production in Q3. Nothing new from a technical standpoint as this was the CFO, so he mostly talked in finance terms.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
We received Lyriq info today that yes is geared to the Lyriq, but I am sure they are applying the same principle to the Hummer.
View attachment 1206
Ya, this is what I was trying to point out to @Transporter a while back, GM has the ability to ration their parts internally, and choose which cars they want to build with the limited parts supply. HummerEV, and Lyriq will not be held up by small parts, now if there is a battery crisis with Ultium, thats a different story, but if it is just modules for HVAC, or Power seats, the BEV's will get what they need first, just like the HD pickups do now.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
202 Posts
Article related to Ultium batteries and LG, seems the NHTSA is concerned about other cars as well, but for Ultium it appears GM is more in the middle of it, so they have less concerns.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Article related to Ultium batteries and LG, seems the NHTSA is concerned about other cars as well, but for Ultium it appears GM is more in the middle of it, so they have less concerns.

I know for sure I am concerned about LG's batteries in my E-Tron, will not keep it much longer, and charging it carefully in the mean time.

One interesting thing, the Tesla S on fire in the picture is our Dr's car. That is an old one, Tesla gave him a brand new car, and made him sign an NDA.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts