GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The size of the Hummer EV battery could efficiently operate a home if power is out. Will the hummer EV in case of a power outage power my home? I build Zero Energy Ready Homes. The homes I build are a pathway to reduce the carbon footprint. My Hummer Ev is due for Delivery on 10/3. I hope in the future I can continue this quest to reduce the carbon footprint with my new EV as a backup source of power to do away with dirty fuel-operated backup generators or a need for wall battery packs. The truck battery (212.7 kWH) would be my first choice !!! I hope we can make this happen !!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
We have Tesla solar and batteries, and our power outages go unnoticed. Internet, TV, HVAC all continue uninterrupted. The batteries charge via solar everyday and we operated off of batteries every night so our home is basically off of the grid. Producing 11kw on a cloudy day.

Also charges our vehicles, pool, hot tub. I would see V2H as a safety net for sure but not the first choice.

Building Window House Font Facade

I believe there are already V2H chargers in the works and will be available soon.

·
Registered
373 Posts
We have Tesla solar and batteries, and our power outages go unnoticed. Internet, TV, HVAC all continue uninterrupted. The batteries charge via solar everyday and we operated off of batteries every night so our home is basically off of the grid. Producing 11kw on a cloudy day.

Also charges our vehicles, pool, hot tub. I would see V2H as a safety net for sure but not the first choice.

View attachment 3080

I believe there are already V2H chargers in the works and will be available soon.

Us too produce almost 140kw on these hot days but starting to reduce with season. Usually can set my Tesla to charge at around 20 amps starting around 11 and solar still covers the house and car both. Not sure will be able to do the same with Hummer yet and it's thirsty battery but non the less it remains a great offset. Wished I had more than 4 PWs as they deplete fast!

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Us too produce almost 140kw on these hot days but starting to reduce with season. Usually can set my Tesla to charge at around 20 amps starting around 11 and solar still covers the house and car both. Not sure will be able to do the same with Hummer yet and it's thirsty battery but non the less it remains a great offset. Wished I had more than 4 PWs as they deplete fast!
140 kWh you mean? 140 kW would require a massive solar array.

·
Registered
373 Posts
140 kWh you mean? 140 kW would require a massive solar array.
ha yes, 140kW ;-) I always mess that up. I just have a 19.2kW system, 48 panels. It's awesome though so far as got it in May. Looking forward to these shoulder months where we should be net negative perhaps.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've had a couple power outages and used my Hummer EV to power my home network and TV (and some phone chargers, lights, etc...) with the onboard 110v outlets. Keep in mind this is 400W MAX. Not enough to keep my refrigerators /deep freezers running and (barely enough (sometimes)) to power my on-demand, gas hot water heater (gasp!). I actually find this disappointing considering the size of the battery available, not to mention all of the extension cords involved.

·
Registered
154 Posts
There are some companies working on chargers with the onboard electronics to allow V2H and V2G for EVs that don’t have the ability built in. I can’t remember the name right now. Found it it’s Quasar.

V2 anything is going to be the way of the future, the grid is going to require it and as long as it’s done in a way that won’t cause battery degradation. It’s silly to need a generator when I have a battery sitting in my garage powerful enough to power my home for 4 days.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
686 Posts
There are some companies working on chargers with the onboard electronics to allow V2H and V2G for EVs that don’t have the ability built in. I can’t remember the name right now. Found it it’s Quasar.
Quasar is just a low power (11.4kw) CCS charger that runs off 240V. The car still needs software onboard to be able to output current, rather than taking it in. Normally when CCS plug is connected the car talks to the charger to get the current capability and then to set the target current for it to provide. To do V2H this sequence would have to get turned around, plus the car would have to have some cutoff SoC where it would stop providing output to the house.

My understanding is that the current CCS protocol does not have this written in the standard, that is why the Lightning requires a special wall unit, and Ford controls the software on both sides.

·
Registered
GMC Gas / Diesel / EV Technician
59 Posts
My Ioniq 5 has V2L with a 120v outlet under rear seat or you can get an adapter for the CCS plus and the infotainment controls how low the battery can get. My guess is its just a fairly simple software update with a J1772 adapter

1 - 11 of 11 Posts