GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think that GMC will ever unlock more power from the Electric Motors to give us more power? Launching the truck feels fast, I wish it had more. I also wish that there was more power with regular driving.

Tesla always gets their cars 0-60 down over time with updates. Do you think we will ever see a sub 3 seconds 0-60 in our trucks?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Do you think that GMC will ever unlock more power from the Electric Motors to give us more power? Launching the truck feels fast, I wish it had more. I also wish that there was more power with regular driving.

Tesla always gets their cars 0-60 down over time with updates. Do you think we will ever see a sub 3 seconds 0-60 in our trucks?
Someone said they've maxed out the power before the truck does a "wheelie" or, more technically, when there's so little traction/weight on the front axle that the truck is uncontrollable. They've countered it as much as they can by making the truck squat in WTF mode.

·
Registered
Waiting on my Spring 2022 Delivery ED1
229 Posts
"In the early days when we were just trying to balance the front and rear torque, I got the front end to lift," he told me. As it turns out, so much of the car was developed digitally that, when it came time to do real-world testing, there were a few unexpected quirks. "We had to back off the torque on the front end," he added, just as he prepared the Hummer for another launch.

I'm still waiting for my "spring" delivery to be built, but understand WTF is significantly faster/more powerful than normal mode. Seems like there's at least daylight to make normal mode closer to WTF in terms of power/acceleration before popping down to what Tesla refers to as cheetah stance. Also, presumably later models without the MT tires will presumably have less issues with chirping tires off the line.

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
898 Posts
"In the early days when we were just trying to balance the front and rear torque, I got the front end to lift," he told me. As it turns out, so much of the car was developed digitally that, when it came time to do real-world testing, there were a few unexpected quirks. "We had to back off the torque on the front end," he added, just as he prepared the Hummer for another launch.

I'm still waiting for my "spring" delivery to be built, but understand WTF is significantly faster/more powerful than normal mode. Seems like there's at least daylight to make normal mode closer to WTF in terms of power/acceleration before popping down to what Tesla refers to as cheetah stance. Also, presumably later models without the MT tires will presumably have less issues with chirping tires off the line.
If you put the truck into "my mode" and turn acceleration up to adrenaline, it's about as close as you can get to WTF mode without being in it. The truck still really shows it's weight and softness of the suspension though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do have my mode turned up to adrenaline. I still dont think the truck feels fast enough for 1,000 HP. Its really dialed back from what it feels like when launching it in WTF.

I really feel like with some software upgrades it can still be tweaked to launch harder and have more power on tap at all times.

I almost feel like GMC is doing this on purpose so owners dont get them selves in trouble.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Does anyone suppose that there will ever be a "tuner" for our trucks that we can use to tweak things like top speed, full power, etc...? I'm assuming that android automotive is locked down pretty tight but dealers and shops are going to need to be able to re-calibrate certain things for tire size and things like that.

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
898 Posts
I do have my mode turned up to adrenaline. I still dont think the truck feels fast enough for 1,000 HP. Its really dialed back from what it feels like when launching it in WTF.

I really feel like with some software upgrades it can still be tweaked to launch harder and have more power on tap at all times.

I almost feel like GMC is doing this on purpose so owners dont get them selves in trouble.
WTF mode hits so hard because the rear suspension is already basically on the bump stops. You can just drive around in it but it's pretty uncomfortable if your roads aren't smooth.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
686 Posts

With all the power this truck has, tire friction becomes the limiting factor for acceleration. The acceleration of the Hummer is already near 1g in WTF mode. You need special racing tires to handle more.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Does anyone suppose that there will ever be a "tuner" for our trucks that we can use to tweak things like top speed, full power, etc...? I'm assuming that android automotive is locked down pretty tight but dealers and shops are going to need to be able to re-calibrate certain things for tire size and things like that.
It might be a while before a reputable tuner (some fly by night place may do whatever and not care) shop gets into tuning EVs that much. The stakes when things go wrong are a little higher. For instance, if you push an ICE too far something fails and the engine dies, your gas tank doesn't explode/catch fire as well. Top speed is just a tire thing. You're close to 5 tons on 4 R-rated off road tires, they're just trying to keep them from exploding. I personally wouldn't go faster without some higher rated tires that can handle that load.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
It might be a while before a reputable tuner (some fly by night place may do whatever and not care) shop gets into tuning EVs that much. The stakes when things go wrong are a little higher. For instance, if you push an ICE too far something fails and the engine dies, your gas tank doesn't explode/catch fire as well. Top speed is just a tire thing. You're close to 5 tons on 4 R-rated off road tires, they're just trying to keep them from exploding. I personally wouldn't go faster without some higher rated tires that can handle that load.
The Hummer launches as hard as you can, but starts pulling power back at about 20 MPH, by 60 mph it has pulled back 200 HP or so, this is likely for battery preservation.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The Hummer launches as hard as you can, but starts pulling power back at about 20 MPH, by 60 mph it has pulled back 200 HP or so, this is likely for battery preservation.
[/QU
How do you know this? I would like to know more.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts