GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the EV SUV come equipped with the capability to to take in 80 amps of power during home charing? Currently installing a Tesla wall connector for the Model X and I'm debating whether to use a #2 or #6 wire. Difference is wire cost is around $1400. The plan is to eventually replace the Tesla Wall Connecter with the Hummer compatible home charging station.

Also is a #2 wire enough to handle 80 amps of continuous load?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Does the EV SUV come equipped with the capability to to take in 80 amps of power during home charing? Currently installing a Tesla wall connector for the Model X and I'm debating whether to use a #2 or #6 wire. Difference is wire cost is around $1400. The plan is to eventually replace the Tesla Wall Connecter with the Hummer compatible home charging station.

Also is a #2 wire enough to handle 80 amps of continuous load?
48 amps max (i.e. with 60 amp breaker) is max for Hummer at home for now.

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
1,091 Posts
I'd go with the 80A charger right off the bat if you intend to upgrade it. NEC code basically requires redoing the entire thing because of the difference in code compliance, and you aren't going to be able to land a #2 wire on a 48A station.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Yeah, good to oversize the infrastructure/wiring. We are running just a 40 amp charger right now but we wired our two EV plugs with Aluminum #2 wire (or you can use Copper #4) to support up to 100 amp breaker if needed.

I'd also go with copper if can/have choice ever. Aluminum tend to expand/contract a lot more with heat-load on it thus can wear out faster.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I'd go with the 80A charger right off the bat if you intend to upgrade it. NEC code basically requires redoing the entire thing because of the difference in code compliance, and you aren't going to be able to land a #2 wire on a 48A station.
The wire does seem a bit thick. Im thinking of placing a 100amp sub-panel right next to my Tesla wall connector and temporarily running a 60 amp breaker with a #6 wire to the Tesla wall connector and eventually adding a 100amp breaker for the Hummer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts