GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
727 Posts
Some of Tesla's 1 vehicle accidents are certainly hard to explain. The fact they hit so many emergency vehicles and trees, hmmm.
Something to do with Mars' gravitational pull on the fauxtanium in the Tesla's chassis structure last I heard.

·
Registered
2019, Chevy Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,310 Posts

·
Super Moderator
457 Posts
Tesla isn't having a very good week.

I remember talking to an engineer who came in the dealership out in CA over autopilot technology. It's wild this correlation comes up now between a bus and a UPS truck. He mentioned the software he was working on and how to make it intelligent, essentially deciding which is worse to crash into. Basically if the car is going to crash it looks all around and in the right lane sees 2 cars and in the left lane it sees 1 bus. 1 is less than 2 so it would crash into the larger object even though it could have more impact. Now this was years ago and I don't know if that technology was actually implemented, but crazy to read an article about them hitting larger vehicles and trees.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I remember talking to an engineer who came in the dealership out in CA over autopilot technology. It's wild this correlation comes up now between a bus and a UPS truck. He mentioned the software he was working on and how to make it intelligent, essentially deciding which is worse to crash into. Basically if the car is going to crash it looks all around and in the right lane sees 2 cars and in the left lane it sees 1 bus. 1 is less than 2 so it would crash into the larger object even though it could have more impact. Now this was years ago and I don't know if that technology was actually implemented, but crazy to read an article about them hitting larger vehicles and trees.
You point out one of the toughest things about programming autonomous vehicles, programming it whether to decide to hit the stroller in the crosswalk, or the crowd on the sidewalk.

·
Registered
403 Posts
You go for the stroller. You try to minimize damage (potential injury or loss of life).
now now, any useful AI would quickly do facial scans and age estimation on everyone in that crowd and perform a calculation on useful years left in life, and compare to an estimated ~87 years for the stroller baby, and hit the lesser amount ;-)

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
709 Posts
I am currently working on an SAE committee that is developing the safety standard for certification of AI systems for aircraft. That standard is due out in late 2023.

Road vehicles are supposed to meet ISO26262 safety standard, but that does not currently discuss AI and there is no independent auditors for that standard, such as the FAA or EASA in the aerospace domain. NHTSA only gets involved after accidents or incidents occur.

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
934 Posts
now now, any useful AI would quickly do facial scans and age estimation on everyone in that crowd and perform a calculation on useful years left in life, and compare to an estimated ~87 years for the stroller baby, and hit the lesser amount ;-)
That baby you avoided killing turned out to be the next Hitler.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am currently working on an SAE committee that is developing the safety standard for certification of AI systems for aircraft. That standard is due out in late 2023.

Road vehicles are supposed to meet ISO26262 safety standard, but that does not currently discuss AI and there is no independent auditors for that standard, such as the FAA or EASA in the aerospace domain. NHTSA only gets involved after accidents or incidents occur.

FAA, and EASA have been getting harder to work with, I am hearing?

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
709 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts