GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
This type of system where you only use it on Interstates (since that's mainly the roads being currently mapped) makes much more sense than some other systems which tend to concentrate on too much flexibility at the cost of some precision. Supercruise makes driving from state to state much more comfortable and doesn't require the driver to keep their hands no the wheel. Very few current, or near current, ones allow you to take your hands off the wheel without somehow cheating the system. Next, I hope it will do automatic lane changes to get around slower vehicles - i.e. no need for the driver to initiate the turning process. I understand that is one advantage of the Tesla system. In any case, I don't do enough long distance driving to justify the ridiculous prices these things cost (around $5-6,000 I understand once you get the mandated options for Supercruise). I guess I am too old school and not quite ready for this newfangled stuff! :)

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This type of system where you only use it on Interstates (since that's mainly the roads being currently mapped) makes much more sense than some other systems which tend to concentrate on too much flexibility at the cost of some precision. Supercruise makes driving from state to state much more comfortable and doesn't require the driver to keep their hands no the wheel. Very few current, or near current, ones allow you to take your hands off the wheel without somehow cheating the system. Next, I hope it will do automatic lane changes to get around slower vehicles - i.e. no need for the driver to initiate the turning process. I understand that is one advantage of the Tesla system. In any case, I don't do enough long distance driving to justify the ridiculous prices these things cost (around $5-6,000 I understand once you get the mandated options for Supercruise). I guess I am too old school and not quite ready for this newfangled stuff! :)
SuperCruise is a brand name that relates to hands free driving on a LIDAR mapped motorway, you can zoom in on this map (bottom of linked page) and look at the specific areas you live. In the area I live there are lots of options. When you are not in a mapped area, the system will not "SuperCruise" hands free, but still work like any adaptive cruise control with lane centering but you must keep your hands on the wheel. Super Cruise - Hands Free Driving | Cadillac Ownership

·
Registered
94 Posts
You are correct, I was probably a little unclear with my original comment. I do have a car with adaptive cruise control and find it useful but have never been too impressed with any lane centering technology I have tried so tend to turn that off.

Keep the technology moving forward though and maybe we will have a good and "cheap" self driving system in a few more years (5+ maybe?) - just a few more years than Elon Musk keeps proclaiming.

Let's see how this technology tackles off-road trails next, as this is a Hummer forum after all! The original DARPA challenges were off-road so maybe it's not too hard to do. That could be the next great differentiator for GM to get it working off-road where there are no curbs, lane marking, pedestrians, etc. but terrain issues galore.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are correct, I was probably a little unclear with my original comment. I do have a car with adaptive cruise control and find it useful but have never been too impressed with any lane centering technology I have tried so tend to turn that off.

Keep the technology moving forward though and maybe we will have a good and "cheap" self driving system in a few more years (5+ maybe?) - just a few more years than Elon Musk keeps proclaiming.

Let's see how this technology tackles off-road trails next, as this is a Hummer forum after all! The original DARPA challenges were off-road so maybe it's not too hard to do. That could be the next great differentiator for GM to get it working off-road where there are no curbs, lane marking, pedestrians, etc. but terrain issues galore.
For me, Adaptive Cruise Control is a must on future cars. Ya, the lane centering is hit and miss, my Audi is so so.. I use it sometimes, but in traffic the adaptive cruise control really helps.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Another great Supercruise review

Great review by Doug. I completely agree with him when he talks about about people using autopilot or super cruise on city streets. I don't know why someone in a Tesla would think that's a good idea to use autopilot away from a highway. I'd be way too nervous with all the stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great review by Doug. I completely agree with him when he talks about about people using autopilot or super cruise on city streets. I don't know why someone in a Tesla would think that's a good idea to use autopilot away from a highway. I'd be way too nervous with all the stop and go traffic.
Yes, using Tesla Autopilot around town is more hassle than its worth (too many bugs). I rarely use it in my Tesla unless in stop and go traffic on the freeway. I think Tesla A/P is pretty good on country roads (2 lane), but I still prefer to drive, I am smoother, and if you have to monitor it anyway why not drive, and save yourself the startling close calls.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Yes, using Tesla Autopilot around town is more hassle than its worth (too many bugs). I rarely use it in my Tesla unless in stop and go traffic on the freeway. I think Tesla A/P is pretty good on country roads (2 lane), but I still prefer to drive, I am smoother, and if you have to monitor it anyway why not drive, and save yourself the startling close calls.
Yeah, you won't catch me using any adaptive cruise control/self driving mode unless it's on long trips and open roads. Even then I'm more likely to drive myself.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, you won't catch me using any adaptive cruise control/self driving mode unless it's on long trips and open roads. Even then I'm more likely to drive myself.
Adaptive cruise control is great in stop and go traffic. To me that is the best benefit of it.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A quick preview of the latest Supercruise system. The article claims it’s coming to the Hummer - don’t know that means at debut or not though.
Yes, the Hummer EV get the fully loaded 2nd Gen Supercruise, GM had previously announced that and showed the Hummer doing an automatic lane change.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The towing part of the technology sounds impressive even though you can’t tow and make automatic lane changes at the same time. I know the Ford system has something similar regarding towing, so it will be interesting to see which works better and which features each have to compare them.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The towing part of the technology sounds impressive even though you can’t tow and make automatic lane changes at the same time. I know the Ford system has something similar regarding towing, so it will be interesting to see which works better and which features each have to compare them.
Fords system seems very similar to GM's supercruise, so much so I am not sure if Ford is not licensing the technology from GM... When you think about it, GM owns the nationwide LIDAR mapping data they use, I do not think Ford would want to recapture all of that data? Of course neither company will ever admit to this type of agreement, but I would strongly assume such an agreement exists.

·
Registered
94 Posts
As an aside, now GM seems to be taking umbrage with the Bluecruise name from Ford given their Supercruise, Ultracruise and Cruise origin trademarks. Interesting that this issue seems to be coming around now since the name seems to have been around awhile now.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As an aside, now GM seems to be taking umbrage with the Bluecruise name from Ford given their Supercruise, Ultracruise and Cruise origin trademarks. Interesting that this issue seems to be coming around now since the name seems to have been around awhile now.
I think for GM this all started when they acquired Cruise Automation (which was a terrific investment by Barra and company)

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

1 - 19 of 19 Posts