GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took the hummer for a cruise from CT to VT. It's 173 miles one way so 340 r.t. so rather than have to locate a public charger I'll need a 2nd charger up there.

Should I stick with a 60/48 amp charger or should I bump up to an 100/80 amp. These batteries are so big I'd rather get as much charge into them as possible.

While it's not cheap I'm considering this unit as my main and moving the one that came with the truck up to Vermont. (The CS-100 Level 2 EVSE offering 19.2 kW for EV charging. )

Any thoughts since this is my first EV and my knowledge of them isn't the best.

I will be using the truck as my daily driver and would prefer to get the extra/faster charge but not sure how much faster it would charge over the stock one. Well I guess it's 11.5 kW vs 19.2 kW. So almost twice as fast?

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
946 Posts
Just took the hummer for a cruise from CT to VT. It's 173 miles one way so 340 r.t. so rather than have to locate a public charger I'll need a 2nd charger up there.

Should I stick with a 60/48 amp charger or should I bump up to an 100/80 amp. These batteries are so big I'd rather get as much charge into them as possible.

While it's not cheap I'm considering this unit as my main and moving the one that came with the truck up to Vermont. (The CS-100 Level 2 EVSE offering 19.2 kW for EV charging. )

Any thoughts since this is my first EV and my knowledge of them isn't the best.

I will be using the truck as my daily driver and would prefer to get the extra/faster charge but not sure how much faster it would charge over the stock one. Well I guess it's 11.5 kW vs 19.2 kW. So almost twice as fast?
Hummer maxes out at 48A, you won't gain anything. It's probably my biggest complaint about the truck, especially given the size of the battery. DCFC chargers would be an upgrade, but GM ignores a lot of your settings on an L3, so it complicates charging. It's also a 5 figure ask to have even a basic one installed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hummer maxes out at 48A, you won't gain anything. It's probably my biggest complaint about the truck, especially given the size of the battery. DCFC chargers would be an upgrade, but GM ignores a lot of your settings on an L3, so it complicates charging. It's also a 5 figure ask to have even a basic one installed.
Well.. that's that I guess. So from an almost empty battery and charging at 48 amps is going to take some time. So if range is 330 miles and battery is almost empty.. 16 miles in an hour.. 20 hours to charge..

Thanks for the quick response.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
718 Posts
Well.. that's that I guess. So from an almost empty battery and charging at 48 amps is going to take some time. So if range is 330 miles and battery is almost empty.. 16 miles in an hour.. 20 hours to charge..

Thanks for the quick response.
If you are going 173 miles, why would your battery be empty when you get there? I would leave home at 100% and you will likely be around 50% when you arrive. And you would not even need 100% to return home, so no need to charge for 20 hours.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are going 173 miles, why would your battery be empty when you get there? I would leave home at 100% and you will likely be around 50% when you arrive. And you would not even need 100% to return home, so no need to charge for 20 hours.
Yes.. of course.. I left CT with 100% and ran it to around 43% on the trip up, so no my battery would only be empty only on the return back home if I didn't stop to charge.

The 20 hours to charge is my guess as to how long it will take from an empty battery. But it should take around 10 hours to recharge it overnight after the trip up one way.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Similar situation. I have a second home 250 miles away and two identical 48A ClipperCreek charges on 60A circuits. I have 20% remaining when I arrive at night; plug in to charge overnight. By early afternoon the next day, it's 100% and ready to return. It never takes as long as the dash says it will to fully charge.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
As DarkFx mentioned i think that the charging limitation on a Level 2 charger is likely the biggest drawback to the truck. Not sure if the equipment installed can handle more but maybe GMC has it dialed down for safety or assurance they wont have problems out of the gate? Granted the kwh of this truck is huge so i understand its going to take longer, but I'm pretty sure the equipment included can/should and hopefully will be fixed in an update to allow for the higher amp charging. Would certainly be nice to cut those charging times in half. I'll try and research the on-board charging module GMC used in the truck to see if its limited by software to 48 amps or physically maxxed at 48 amps.

Here is a good starting point .. service bulletin..

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,331 Posts
As DarkFx mentioned i think that the charging limitation on a Level 2 charger is likely the biggest drawback to the truck. Not sure if the equipment installed can handle more but maybe GMC has it dialed down for safety or assurance they wont have problems out of the gate? Granted the kwh of this truck is huge so i understand its going to take longer, but I'm pretty sure the equipment included can/should and hopefully will be fixed in an update to allow for the higher amp charging. Would certainly be nice to cut those charging times in half. I'll try and research the on-board charging module GMC used in the truck to see if its limited by software to 48 amps or physically maxxed at 48 amps.
It only has an 11.5 kW onboard charger. Future Model years will be upgraded to the larger 19.2 kW charger. This is a hardware limitation not software.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well - thanks again for all the info. Most of my use will be withing that 300+/- mile driving radius anyway so charging at home or at vacation home will still work for me. I'll just need to plan ahead on any anticipated long trips if i intend on taking this. lets hope i can get a little better than the 1.4 m/kWh on highway. In town its much better saw 1.8 m/kWh in brief testing

·
Registered
112 Posts
The 2024 Model year Hummer EV SUV is listed as having the 19.2 kW charger. It will likely be available for the SUT then as well.
Where is it noted that 2024 MY gets the new 19.2 kW charger? Sorry for the naïve question.

I would be devastated if my EV3X was delivered so late (having preordered in June, 2021) to get a MY 2024, but also, sounds like it may be worth the wait if that was the case.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Where is it noted that 2024 MY gets the new 19.2 kW charger? Sorry for the naïve question.

I would be devastated if my EV3X was delivered so late (having preordered in June, 2021) to get a MY 2024, but also, sounds like it may be worth the wait if that was the case.

Parallel Font Circle Symmetry Document

·
Registered
174 Posts

The wording on the #2 "asterisk" is weird:
Requires additional accessory equipment.
I know it isn't but it makes it sound like the "Power Station generator" is a add-on accessory.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,331 Posts
The wording on the #2 "asterisk" is weird:
Requires additional accessory equipment.
I know it isn't but it makes it sound like the "Power Station generator" is a add-on accessory.
The Generator uses the CCS combo port to provide power, and the accessory equipment is basically a cable to plug into the port and provide plugs or a connector to charge other EVs.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts