GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Did you ever see the move with Kurt Russel "Breakdown"
It's about an appears to be Rich Guy and his wife with his Shiny new BMW and a small town out west!
That's why I care!!!
and that most people I know would "NEVER SPEND THAT KIND OF MONEY ON A CAR"
Just having the price advertised so blatantly is annoying!

QUOTE: "Most media articles always mention the price of a new BMW, Escalade, Mercedes, etc."

Yes, but the media doesn't harp on it like they are doing with the Hummer.

It's just me, I don't like that kind of attention!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Sorry guess I just don't follow. Some people will think that even if they see someone driving a $40k Mercedes CLA. Most people associate certain brands with "rich" people regardless of what the actual vehicle costs. Most people have no idea what the Hummer cost unless they have specifically been following the Hummer marketing, and those same people are the same ones who follow a lot of automotive media and see the repetitive prices of other luxury brands. 90% of the customers on the road don't know what a vehicle costs until they are in the market and they research the vehicle they want. There are people all over driving Escalades which cost the same or more than these Hummers and there are A LOT more of them. To most people this is just a normal every day thing.

If you haven't bought a vehicle this expensive before and you are worried what people will think of you I think you can rest assure that most people couldn't care less ad its not going to bring you a bunch of unwanted attention. Most people aren't turning their heads all over to watch a truck or SUV go down the street. While the Hummer is a cool looking truck it isn't a Lamborghini going down the road that is going to turn the head of every single driver. Unless someone has specifically been looking for Hummer info they are probably just going to think its another $70k truck going down the road.

Hope that eases your mind a little.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It does ease my mind, thanks. People are funny. I may have not bought a car that was that expensive yet, but I do have some head turning cars. I love them, but I hate the attention I get when I drive them. It is mostly negative. Except when I drive my 1932 Yellow American Graffiti look-a-like Hot Rod. That makes people smile, and they say, wow you must have spent a lot of money on this car. I just want to say STFU!!!! But I just smile and say yup, labor of love, I actually built the car so I don't feel like a poser!

What made me realize about the media and their obnoxious tendency to overinflate things for more ratings is a friend of mine who is not really into cars calls me the other day and says, did you see the new Hummer, it's electric and it cost $112,000. I just saw it on ABC News, are you going to get one???

·
Registered
363 Posts
I get what you are saying too... But, my justification is that a decked out pick up is almost $80,000 or more these days and when you consider that and hopefully the savings on maintenance it's not terribly much more... One of my home builder customers drives a Denali SUV and he said that he drives that instead of a BMW, because his customers would think that he was making too much money on the houses that he was selling them... And he said that the Denali is as much or more than a smaller BMW...
My wife has a 2017 Mercedes GLS and she paid 90,000 for it...(her money and her choice) It was the car that she liked at the time... Today we would probably get a Kia Telluride it looks very similar ad has a nice interior and I am sure that it's probably 1/2 the price...
If anyone wants to judge me for my Hummer they can, but if they say it out loud, then I will remind them that I have had 2 cars since 1992..... And I am sure they have had many more in that same time period... I want to go electric, but there are so many new options coming out, I want pick one that I LOVE because I will keep it a long time (hopefully)

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.