GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was under the impression that all Edition 1 trucks were a 2022 model year including mine scheduled for Fall 2022. Today I saw this caveat on the GMC website if you click on the note next to the Extract Mode:
Font Darkness Terrestrial plant Event Photo caption

I am not sure how I feel about this. My initial thoughts are negative as I have always associated the Edition 1 as a Year One vehicle. What do your thoughts?

·
Registered
403 Posts
It means they are producing more than they planned, IMO because the demand was so strong; or delays in production pushed the total order amount into another model year.
This is my thought as well, I think they are thinking it’s going to take them longer than expected to build the allotments of edition 1’s they sold. They are already behind schedule. If I were an edition 1 buyer now I’d be confused though. Do I take my 22 or am I mad I can’t get a 23 just because I reserved early. Limited editions are usually limited to one model year, so how will it affect future values for those trying to buy and hope it becomes a collectors item?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
This is my thought as well, I think they are thinking it’s going to take them longer than expected to build the allotments of edition 1’s they sold. They are already behind schedule. If I were an edition 1 buyer now I’d be confused though. Do I take my 22 or am I mad I can’t get a 23 just because I reserved early. Limited editions are usually limited to one model year, so how will it affect future values for those trying to buy and hope it becomes a collectors item?
Interestingly Duncan Aldred stated 80% of the pre orders are the the edition 1 wait list for both the SUT, and SUV, I think they are going to build more of them then originally planned.

GM should release Q4 sales numbers tomorrow morning, we will see how many they delivered last year.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Those numbers will be interesting to see. Another interesting thought…do you think GM would increase the production of edition 1’s to meet all reservations AND those who clicked the waitlist in order to help their bottom line? Maybe it would end up not being so “limited” after all

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm more confused about the Extraction Mode being an over-the-air update for ED1s... Why wouldn't it come installed already if my Fall 22 delivery isn't even built yet? Nothing ruins the fun like unwrapping a new toy and then it requiring multiple updates... but that is our world these days.

So much hope on here that they will build extra ED1 trucks... The GM President said on TV they are building "about 1200" and they have been behind schedule a couple of months... none of this means they are all of sudden going to increase production 2x-10x. Planning for the stated volume of production likely took years of coordination, then it was made all that more complex because of external factors.

IMO - The ED1 is their chance to figure out all the complexities of building a brand new EV platform from the ground up: quality control, employee training, new technologies etc... What better way then going slow and selling Limited Editions of a vehicle that gets TONS of attention. That halo Hummer vehicle will sell lots of Sierra EVs and Escalade EVs and so on in the coming years.

The Hummer isn't the prize for GMC, its everything built off of the Hummer's lessons learned that is the ultimate mission... There is nothing practical about a Hummer, and there never has been... that's the beauty of it... its pure excess in every way possible... and if we are being honest, this product is for a limited scope of customers, and in this case: approximately 1200 (ignoring they will sell other versions of the truck as well).

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I'm more confused about the Extraction Mode being an over-the-air update for ED1s... Why wouldn't it come installed already if my Fall 22 delivery isn't even built yet? Nothing ruins the fun like unwrapping a new toy and then it requiring multiple updates... but that is our world these days.

So much hope on here that they will build extra ED1 trucks... The GM President said on TV they are building "about 1200" and they have been behind schedule a couple of months... none of this means they are all of sudden going to increase production 2x-10x. Planning for the stated volume of production likely took years of coordination, then it was made all that more complex because of external factors.

IMO - The ED1 is their chance to figure out all the complexities of building a brand new EV platform from the ground up: quality control, employee training, new technologies etc... What better way then going slow and selling Limited Editions of a vehicle that gets TONS of attention. That halo Hummer vehicle will sell lots of Sierra EVs and Escalade EVs and so on in the coming years.

The Hummer isn't the prize for GMC, its everything built off of the Hummer's lessons learned that is the ultimate mission... There is nothing practical about a Hummer, and there never has been... that's the beauty of it... its pure excess in every way possible... and if we are being honest, this product is for a limited scope of customers, and in this case: approximately 1200 (ignoring they will sell other versions of the truck as well).
A few factually challenged statements here... Mark Reuss DID NOT say in his CNBC interview that they were behind schedule on the Hummer Ev program, and big Al (chief engineer) has said quite the opposite in his facebook posts, saying that they nailed the internal schedule all the way though

As for Extract mode not being ready, that was advertised in GM's Hummer Ev unveil on Oct 20th 2020, so that was also always part of the plan. (Go back and watch the unveil video and read the fine print)

As for building Hummers slowly, they are currently assembling the battery packs on a pilot line at Brownstown. The Lordstown cell plant will not start having any production until Q3, and the battery module boxes plant being built by Magna, is nearing completion now, and the battery pack assembly center built at Factory Zero will come online in the fall, in time to supply the SUV launch, and then Silverado E.

Hummer is in low rate initial production now, and not likely to ramp up until the rest of the supply chain is ready to go in the August-September time frame.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I guess I had poor grammar. I meant they said on tv They are making about 1200. Period. Also, they expected deliveries in “late 2021” - well that didn’t really happen which means they are a few months behind. Bigger point: doubtful this fact pattern means they are producing extras.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I guess I had poor grammar. I meant they said on tv They are making about 1200. Period. Also, they expected deliveries in “late 2021” - well that didn’t really happen which means they are a few months behind. Bigger point: doubtful this fact pattern means they are producing extras.
Deliveries did happen in Late 2021, not sure how many yet, though, but what GM said was "Initial availability fall 2021", so as long as they delivered 1 truck before December 21st, they were right on schedule.

No problem with your grammar, but I have a problem if you distort reality with BS. GM is far from perfect, but on this Hummer program it seems they have done everything they said they would exactly when they said they would.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I read that they had 17 complete and ready to deliver before the end of the year, Don't know if that happened...Don't ask me where I read it, it was in some blog somewhere on the internet, so you know it's true...Bon Jour...lol
For the people that want one I hope they make more, for the people that have a confirmed reservation I hope they don't make any more to keep the value up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Deliveries did happen in Late 2021, not sure how many yet, though, but what GM said was "Initial availability fall 2021", so as long as they delivered 1 truck before December 21st, they were right on schedule.

No problem with your grammar, but I have a problem if you distort reality with BS. GM is far from perfect, but on this Hummer program it seems they have done everything they said they would exactly when they said they would.
What did I say that was BS?
reality: Delivering 1 or 17 trucks by Midnight Dec 31 vs.
initial expectations: initial availability Fall 21
… seems to me they are behind a couple of months.

most people with orders eagerly hoped deliveries would start around Thanksgiving (not all trucks at one time, just first in the queue)

not sure why this is so personal for you. It’s no big deal they are slightly behind, everything is behind schedule. Building a new car is hard, I know I couldn’t do better. Heck, I’m not criticizing them, but it’s not like they started rolling copies off the production line in Oct-Nov.

MY POINT was they are not going to be multiplying production as others are suggesting.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I read that they had 17 complete and ready to deliver before the end of the year, Don't know if that happened...Don't ask me where I read it, it was in some blog somewhere on the internet, so you know it's true...Bon Jour...lol
For the people that want one I hope they make more, for the people that have a confirmed reservation I hope they don't make any more to keep the value up.
Mark Reuss stated they had 17 ready to go mid December, and after that AL posted on Facebook that he was at the factory and they were cranking out as many as they could by the end of the year.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
What did I say that was BS?
reality: Delivering 1 or 17 trucks by Midnight Dec 31 vs.
initial expectations: initial availability Fall 21
… seems to me they are behind a couple of months.

most people with orders eagerly hoped deliveries would start around Thanksgiving (not all trucks at one time, just first in the queue)

not sure why this is so personal for you. It’s no big deal they are slightly behind, everything is behind schedule. Building a new car is hard, I know I couldn’t do better. Heck, I’m not criticizing them, but it’s not like they started rolling copies off the production line in Oct-Nov.

MY POINT was they are not going to be multiplying production as others are suggesting.
The GM President said on TV they are building "about 1200" and they have been behind schedule a couple of months..
That my friend is complete BS!!! Mark Reuss has never stated they were behind schedule. "Initial availability" means a few built, it does not even mean delivered, and Fall 2021 ran through December 20th 2021, so technically they were right on time...

Anyway, nothing personal, it's just facts and fiction. I speculated deliveries would start earlier, but that is speculation, the reality is GM did what they said, when they said, end of report...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Speaking of FACT vs FICTION

Did anyone see this post from GM Authority?

Production of the 2022 GMC Hummer EV Edition 1 pickup began at the GM Factory Zero plant in Michigan in December.
All 2022 model-year Hummer EV pickups will be of the limited-run Edition 1 trim,
which come identically equipped with a white exterior, white Lunar Horizon interior and bronzed “Edition 1” interior badging. The Hummer EV Edition 1 also comes standard with GM’s hands-free Super Cruise driving system and the Extreme Off-Road Package, which adds 18-inch wheels, 35-inch Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT tires, underbody skid plates, frame rail rock sliders and underbody cameras.
Prices for the 2022 GMC Hummer EV Edition 1 started at $110,295, but all available reservation slots have now been spoken for. The non-limited production versions of the battery-electric truck will enter production in the fall of 2022.
I hate the fact that they (The Media) is constantly mentioning the price of the Hummer EV Edition 1. (Why should the whole world know what I paid for something!)
Now everyplace you take your new Hummer people will say "Oh look at that rich dick, He just paid $125,000 for that truck" You may not care what other people think, however it will release a certain amount of resentment to the fact that you're rich and they are not. What they don't know is that some of us will be going into hock to get one of these and just because we choose to spend our money on something like that instead of whatever their vice is, doesn't give them the right to judge. The same way I am judging them for the way they think...lol!!!!

Every day I check my email 10 times hoping to see that email that says "Go Contact Your Dealer To Order your 2022 Edition 1 Hummer EV for $125,000.00 Tax included!!!"

and just in case anyone is interested, I have an almost life size picture of the Hummer EV on the wall in my office that I look at every day!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am good with $112,595. GMC probably regrets posting an MSRP in October 2020 due to how much inflation has increased since then. Here is a screenshot from the Bureau of Labor website to put it in perspective:

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

1 - 20 of 24 Posts